Aloha, you may remember me writing about a book Energise You by Oliver Gray ?
Well, there’s an online quiz to check how you score in each of the sections discussed in the book. I took this at the beginning of January, and again at the beginning of February. After completing the January Quiz, I implemented 3 Habits from the book to improve my scores. These were:
- Drink 2 litres of water a day
- Eat 5 fruits/veg a day
- Exercise 3 times a week
I was not able to stick to these consistently, however I was doing them more often than before-which is never going to be a bad thing.
My january stats were as follows:
Mind management 38%
Computer use 27%
Work-life balance 71%
My February stats:
Mind management 50%
Computer use 55%
Work-life balance 100%
Much improved, however still lots to work on!
Based on this, I need to improve my Re-energising, and Nutrition the most.
My February habits are:
- Give myself 20 minutes of ‘stop-time’ per day.
- Eat my 5 a day (I know this is the same as last month, but this is the one I failed at most)
- Incorporate Yoga into my day
Alongside these I will also be focusing on eating well, and drinking lots of water. Just trying to be healthy.
My gym membership came with an unexpected bonus – a free personal training session. Yay
I had this today, after work. felt a bit awkward about it, but she did a lot of good stuff with me, and we looked at how much I could lift on the different free weights and resistance machines. We did some cardio as well, and improving stamina. (She got me to jog on the treadmill, and I was already pretty wiped from all of the other things we had done!). The session was more to look at what I want to improve and what exercises/machines would achieve that.
OK, so I cant remember everything we did…but I’ve listed what I can remember!
- Warm up: 5 mins on the cross-trainer, on level 5 (this can be whatever resistance you are comfortable with, something that isn’t too strenuous, but you can feel)
- Stretches! VERY important of course. stretch everything from head to toe, and why not throw in some yoga poses!
- Cable Pull downs, 6.5kg, 8-10 x 3 (I don’t know the correct terms for these, so forgive me if I am wrong!)
- Cable row, 9kg, 8-10 x 3.
- Free weights: Leg Press, 10kg each side, 8-10 x 3
- Free weights: Chest Press, 5kg each side, 8-10 x3
- Swiss ball squats: 4kg, squat and hold for 10 seconds x 3
- Walking lunges: 3kg, lunge across studio and back 3-4 times
- Resistance machines: Abs, 10kg 8-10 x 3
- Resistance machines: Triceps (pushing away action. Elbows rest on pad, arms push away) approx. 5-7.5kg
- Resistance machines: Leg lift (sat down, ankles hooked under roll cushion, lift legs) approx 10kg
- Resistance machine: Backwards leg lift (laid down on front, ankles hooked under roll cushion, lift legs) approx 10kg
- The Plank… 3 x 10 second intervals. Increase this as you get better!
- Treadmill: 8.5% incline, 4.5mph; a brisk walk up an incline. After 5 mins or so, switch to 0% incline, and a jogging speed. I was on 6.5mph. This was a very light jog, and I was knackered! ran for about 3-4mins before stopping. (I got a stitch and needed water. No water bottle! Have been instructed to bring bottle next time)
After this, we had a chat about nutrition and she gave me some info on this with meal plan suggestions. We didn’t do the whole workout today, I did minimum 1 set of each, but the whole shebang on the squats, lunges and plank. The idea of this plan is to increase the reps to 15-20, and increase the weights being lifted. This will up both endurance and strength. It’s a flexible plan, for example I don’t have to do all of my sets at once, I could machine jump and do the next set after a different set. I like it. It’s encouraged me to use more of the machines and to get more involved in pushing myself to improve the weight I’m lifting.
I have a feeling I may end up a lifting loony like my bestest bud, RoanRider . Maybe. Maybe not.
I have another session booked with my PT in the beginning of February. This one is not free, however I am going to give it a go to see if I feel it’s worth sticking with a PT, or going it alone (with some help from the internet…)
I keep fluctuating between 214 and 215, however I think the 215 today is due to having a BBQ at the weekend!
-Keep food diary
-Make good food choices
-Continue with 30 Day Shred
Target: 208 pounds
Still struggling with the push ups, but I’ve not given up on them yet. I hope I wont.
Literally have sweat running down my face, gross, but I’m thinking of it as fat leaving the body.
Feel more motivated to do this, heard from my family today and they are all doing well with their own weight goals, so I need to keep it up or be the fat one in the family! 😉
I pushed harder on the cardio parts today, and I didn’t stop as much during the strength section as I did at the beginning-just in the push ups.
Also went swimming today, did 16 lengths, 1/4 mile. Probably a good thing after my overeating yesterday!
Absolutely no need for a rest day, could’v done with one yesterday but I chose not to have one. Feeling good about keeping up with this.
I really didn’t want to weigh in today because I knew I had put on. I was right.
Highest weight: 213 pounds
Last weeks weight: 212 pounds
This weeks weight: 213 pounds
Put on the pound I lost last week.
Feel very stuck. been this weight or hereabouts for a year. drastic changes need to be made. and exercise needs to happen every day.
I bought Jillians 30 day shred DVD and was hoping it would arrive today, no such luck, it hasn’t been dispatched yet. A little annoyed about that, I want to do a workout today when I’m back from work and go swimming. Or, run and then swim.
It’s my food intake that’s letting me down, I did a lot of exercise last week and still put on. My food diary is a mess of overeating in the evenings. I need to actually plan my meals.
This week will be better. 3-7 pound loss would be good.
Didn’t feel achey at all today from swimming yesterday, so I went swimming again today! yay!
I did 40 lengths (approximately) today, over 1/2 a mile. I say approximately because I lost count in the 20’s because I kept crashing into people or people crashed into me because I am so slow!
Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but the only stroke I can really do is backstroke, so I’ve been trying to do breaststroke, and I’m super slow at it, and keep kicking the side of the pool by accident as well! I had sore toes after that I can tell you…
I don’t ache much now at all, I’m wondering if that’s because I alternate between strokes, so am using Muscles in different ways rather than sticking to one stroke. I guess I’ll wait and see how I feel tomorrow…I may even go again! Although, it being a Saturday means it will probably be busy…Hmm. I’ll keep you posted.
Check out my vain clothing blog!
2012 start weight: 202
Last weeks weigh in: 200
Today’s weigh in: 197 -3 😐 woop!
March 12th goal: 195
June 18th goal: 181
celebratory dance wasn’t as good because I knew I’d put on 2 last week, evens it back out again which is good though. I now know why I put on last week, I shall call it bloaty water weight which is now disappearing.
my plan to have loads of fruit didn’t really go ahead, however I did have more than in the previous week. And this week I kind of NEED to eat the oranges that have been sat on the side for a little while… else I will have wasted my moneys and have to throw them away..
feels good being in the 100’s. I’m hoping I can stay there…